I’ve been meaning to get around to writing a part two to the original post for some time now, which I wrote back in 2014, but kept putting it off for other blog ideas. I guess the title is fairly self-explanatory; the ‘allegedly’ is there because, while I’m fairly confident that plenty of anime viewers would argue with many of the below statements, there are probably also plenty out there who wouldn’t. I don’t claim to have carried out any kind of survey on the matter.
Obligatory disclaimer: As the title suggests, these are purely my own opinions. If you happen to disagree, good for you. In fact, that’s basically the point. That said, I’m not actually looking for a fight. Just take it as my right to be loudmouthed and obnoxious on my own blog from time to time.
1. I don’t care for Shinbo Akiyuki or even Shaft as a whole. I can count the number of titles I’ve truly enjoyed from either the director or the studio on one hand. Less, in fact.
2. Despite the amount of people still raving about it, I think Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan is a decidedly average show in nearly every way. Both seasons.
3. Guilty Crown is likewise a completely average show, despite the sheer number of people acting as though it’s one of the worst anime ever created.
4. The Hellsing Ultimate OVA series is okay, but technical upgrades aside is nowhere near as good as the original show.
5. Conversely, the undeservedly popular Rurouni Kenshin TV series is nowhere near as good as the later and far lesser watched Trust & Betrayal OVAs.
6. The original Dragon Ball is a decent show with some actual substance to it – unlike any of its successors, which are definitely entertaining but also utter trash.
7. The first half of the Steins;Gate anime just isn’t that good. Sure, it’s important as far as establishing the cast goes, but on its own is way too slow and pretty obnoxious to boot.
8. Hyouka, followed by Free!, are still KyoAni’s best anime titles to date. I don’t mean that ironically – and no, I’m not forgetting about either Nichijou or Sound! Euphonium.
9. I’m still waiting on a single Type-Moon anime adaption to be good enough for me to sit through the entire thing.
10. Princess Mononoke is an excellent film and a total classic. Even so, it’s just not as good story-wise as either Totoro or Spirited Away.
Question of the post: Got one or two unpopular anime opinions of your own you’d like to share? Sing out in the comments. (Or better yet, if you’re a fellow anime blogger, make your own post so we can see what other potentially unpopular opinions end up coming out.)